Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 4


Today came with only one goal that I set for myself: wash up.  I haven’t been allowed to shower since the day before my surgery so you can imagine how anxious I am to freshen up a bit.  I figured I would have to do this in stages considering I’m exhausted after just changing my clothes, but I was more than willing to expend all of my energy to finally wash my hair. 

Those of you who know me personally know how long my hair is.  Between not being able to get in the shower and not being able to sit at a 90-degree angle, it was certainly a challenge to figure out the best way to accomplish this task.  After giving it some thought, I decided to put a trash bag over my head like a rain poncho and lean just my head over the kitchen sink where we have a detachable sprayer faucet and let my mom wash my hair.  It wasn’t pretty or easy but it got the job done and I stayed relatively dry.  Washing up everything else was straightforward from there, just a few washcloths, water, and body wash and I was all set. 

After I was clean and exhausted, I was once again ready for a nap, which is a great time to lie on my stomach to stretch out that hip flexor that I had mentioned previously.  Yesterday, when I attempted to get into this position I had a very difficult time moving and shifting and it was very painful.  Keeping that in mind, we tried something different today.   The wonderful parents that I am very lucky to have decided it would be easier for me to get into this lying position if I were on an actual bed instead of a couch.  Since taking the stairs takes me forever and is very tiring, they set up a bed for me in our dining room.  This idea ties with the elevated toilet seat for the best thing I have had during this recovery.  It was much easier and much more comfortable to get into the right position on the bed.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Amy! Dr. Petre told me about your blog today - I am having surgery on July 25th.

    Would you recommend this raised toilet seat?

    http://amzn.com/B002VWJZ10

    Or is there a specific one you bought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, Yes this raised toilet seat looks fine. It brings the seat up enough so that you don't have to sit at 90 degrees for the first few weeks and the handles will be a life saver to ease yourself down on the seat. Good luck! Dr. Petre is the best!

    ReplyDelete