Friday, May 17, 2013

Personal Milestones

Since I've last written an update,  I have reached a few of my personal milestones.  A few days ago, I made it to the top of the stairs and took my first shower since the surgery.  It took all morning, but it was well worth the effort!  I still couldn't get my incisions wet so I had to waterproof the top of my thigh.  The waterproof tape I had worked really well, I just put a small square of regular gauze over the incisions and made sure all the edges were sealed.  However, the biggest challenge was getting up the stairs.  I made it though, with my mom standing behind incase I fell backwards.  Lucky for me I have pretty good balance.  The stairs took a lot out of me so I had to take a break before a ventured into the shower.  Trust me, it was an adventure.  It would have taken me forever if my dad hadn't installed a removable shower head so that I didn't have to move much.  I still can't put more than just the ball of my foot on the floor.  After it was all done, I was exhausted but I felt accomplished.    

Another milestone I accomplished just today was getting into the front seat of the car.  I have been just sliding into the back seat and letting my leg rest on the seats as I sat sideways.  It has been very difficult for me to lift my leg at all because Dr. Petre had to cut my Psoas tendon so that it would grow back longer.  Needless to say lifting my leg into the front seat was much more difficult than usual, especially because I am also not allowed to sit at greater than 70 degrees.  Today, I decided that I was feeling well enough and a little more flexible after physical therapy to try the front seat and it worked! To make my day even better, my mom wheeled me around the mall just to get me out of the house for a little bit!  The cherry on top of a very successful day was a lovely nap in my own bed upstairs!  I'd say I'm definitely making progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment